Published: 28 March 2017
Prescribing Statistics - Minor Ailments Service
Published: 14 March 2017
Prescribing Statistics - Monthly Prescribing Activity Data (Experimental Statistics)
Published: 14 February 2017
Prescribing Statistics – Monthly Prescribing Activity Data (Experimental Statistics)
ISD has held data on medicines prescribed within NHS Scotland for several decades. These data are generated as part of prescription processing for the payment of dispensing contractors by the Practitioner Services in NHS National Services Scotland (now part of Practitioner and Counter Fraud Services, P&CFS). We currently have data on over one billion prescriptions, which we make available to customers through routine reporting, bespoke analysis and online tools.
Our Guide to Prescribing Services [420kb] describes how we support key aspects of prescribing, catalogues the information that is available routinely and outlines the help we can offer.
Monthly Prescribing Activity Data
New official experimental statistics are being piloted with the initial release on Tuesday, 12th April 2016 and then monthly.
This publication includes two aspects - a summary statistics dashboard and a data extract.
Summary Statistics Dashboard
The Tableau based dashboard reports on cost and volume of prescriptions dispensed and paid in the community. Data is presented as a total at NHS Board level and does not drill down to individual drugs.
Prescribing Data Extract File
The data extract is presented as downloadable text (.csv) file. It contains details of items dispensed in the community at prescribing location code level for General Practice data and aggregated by NHS Board for other prescriber location types. Items are described at British National Formulary (BNF) item description level.
Supporting Documentation for prescribing data extract file
Publication of Prescribing Data - Practice level prescribing data
Glossary of Terms - Practice level prescribing data
Privacy Risk Assessment - Practice level prescribing data
Field names and descriptions
Contact for Monthly Prescribing Activity Data
For information about the monthly prescribing activity data, or prescribing information in general, please contact the Prescribing Team: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Prescribing Data Consultation
Prescribing Data Consultation [79kb]. Users and stakeholders of national prescribing data held by the Information Services Division were invited to submit their views on proposed changes to the way in which this information is made available. The consultation ran from mid September 2015 until the end of October 2015.
Our prescribing team provide a national information and intelligence service for customers in NHS Boards, Government, Academia and Industry. Through our work we support improved health and ensure efficient and effective use of public money. On this website, you will find the following resources.
- Information about all our national publications and published data.
- A timetable of planned prescribing publications, links to specific pages on each publication, and additional information about ISD's publication process
- A list of all our publications in chronological order.
- A variety of data and supporting commentary on dispensing in the community, including information about pharmacy services, dispenser remuneration and topic reports.
- Information about the work of the Scottish Antimicrobial Prescribing Group (SAPG).
- Information about ISD's prescribing data marts, which enable authorised NHS users to explore data on:
- Community dispensing in the Prescribing Information Systems for Scotland (PRISMS and PIS);
- Hospital dispensing in the Hospital Medicine Utilisation Database(HMUD);
- The relationship between trends in the use of antimicrobials and the development of antimicrobial resistance and Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) in the Antimicrobial Management Integrated Database for Scotland (AMIDS).
- The Scottish Drug Tariff which covers aspects of reimbursement and remuneration of contractors providing pharmaceutical services to NHS Boards.
- Stoma products and services.
We can also offer specialist analytical services to support individual customers with their specific information needs.
You can find out more about all our services by e-mailing: email@example.com.