Quality & Outcomes Framework (QOF)
Published: 11 October 2016
Quality & Outcomes Framework (QOF) of the new GMS contract - achievement, prevalence and exception reporting data
The Quality & Outcomes Framework (QOF) represents one of the main sources of potential income for general practices (GP surgeries) across the UK. It is a major part of the new General Medical Services (GMS) contract, introduced on 1st April 2004. Participation by general practices in the QOF is voluntary. For those that do participate, the QOF measures achievement against a range of evidence-based indicators, with points and payments awarded according to the level of achievement.
ISD publishes the following information from QOF:
- QOF points and payments achieved by GP practices
- Prevalence data for a range of conditions recorded in QOF registers
- Information on QOF exception reporting, i.e. numbers of patients excluded for reasons such as a treatment not being clinically appropriate, or the patient choosing not to attend review appointments.
For more information about QOF please see our latest publication report or follow the links to the left.
Note - The final 2015-16 QOF publication will be released in October 2016. ISD will no longer be publishing the QOF after this date as the QOF is being decommissioned, with all points being retired and funding transferred to practice core funding. QOF data will no longer be extracted for payment purposes. 2016-17 QOF data will continue to be extracted to support the peer led GP Cluster Continuous Quality Improvement process as part of the latest GMS contract agreement.
October 2015 - Quality & Outcomes (QOF) of the new GMS contract - achievement, prevalence and exception reporting data covering April 2015 to March 2016 was released on 11 October 2016. Please see link in "Latest Publications" box on right of this page.
Please can you help? Every day a steady stream of people visit the QOF pages of our website, find what they want then leave silently. We'd really like to know who you are and how you use the data so we can improve our service to you.
If you prefer you can contact us directly at nss.isdGeneralPractice@nhs.net. We'd be really interested to hear from you.
Thank you for your help.
Latest QOF data for Scotland
2015/16 data table links
- Achievements data at Scotland and NHS Board Level
- Achievements data at Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) level
- Achievements data at practice level - summaries
- Achievements data practice level - individual indicators
- Register and prevalence data at Scotland, NHS Board and HSCP level
- Prevalence Trends for Scotland 2004/05 - 2015/16 [63kb]
- Scotland Performs - Dementia data for HEAT target [58kb]
- Exception reporting in clinical indicators