Information is available on theatre running costs and usage.
- There were 360 operating theatres1 in 48 hospitals
- On average, each theatre was used for 26 hours per week2
- The average annual running cost per theatre was £1.5 million
Theatre services information is collected on SFR 5.10 and presented in the following four reports3 :
SFR 5.10 [100kb] - source data for theatre services
- Number of theatres - the following theatre types are included:
-- 01 - main theatre suite (operating theatre and accompanying recovery rooms counted as one theatre)
-- 02A - satellite or isolated theatre
-- 02B - day theatre
-- Maternity theatres
- Theatre hours used - the time from the first case entering pre-med until the final case leaves the theatre (i.e. goes to the recovery suite).
- Theatre expenditure is also shown in the Specialty Costs reports R040 (inpatients) and R042 (daycases) as part of the total specialty expenditure.