Childsmile is a programme designed to improve the dental health of children in Scotland. It's split into three main elements:
- Childsmile Core, which involves nursery and school toothbrushing schemes, and distributes free toothbrushes and fluoride toothpaste in the first five years of a child's life.
- Childsmile Practice, involving clinical prevention activities.
- Childsmile Nursery and Childsmile School, involving the application of fluoride varnish (FV) to nursery school children's teeth.
ISD is closely involved in the analysis of the fast-growing Childsmile dataset through:
- Data linkage for evaluation and service development.
- Dentists' Childsmile payment analysis.
- Monitoring of Childsmile Core activity.
- Comprehensive management of data used to monitor NHS boards' progress against HEAT target H9.
- Collaboration with the National Information Systems Group of NHS National services Scotland on future IT solutions.
ISD has published information on Childsmile fluoride varnishing activity relating to the HEAT target H9 on the Dental Publications Page