Data analyses and reports
- Detailed incidence and mortality data, lifetime risk, prevalence and survival statistics: Multiple myeloma and malignant plasma cell neoplasms
- A summary table of the main statistics for multiple myeloma.
Below are the most recently updated data. Please note:
- Within each page some files are quite large and may take a few minutes to download.
- You may need to use the drop-down menus within the spreadsheets to define your selections of 'Area of Residence', 'Sex', and 'Cancer site/type' to find the data that you require.
Multiple myeloma and malignant plasma cell neoplasms: ICD-10 C90
Annual incidence [928KB] (most recent 25 years) by age, sex, network and health board
Five year summary of incidence [170KB] by age, sex, network and health board
Annual mortality [765KB] (most recent 25 years) by age, sex, network and health board
Five year summary of mortality [187KB] by age, sex, network and health board
Survival [33KB] (by age and sex) at 1, 3, 5 & 10 years after diagnosis (1983 onwards)
Survival summary [450KB] and interpretation at 1 & 5 years after diagnosis (1983 onwards)
Cancer prevalence [50KB]
Lifetime risk [47KB] of cancer by age and sex
Incidence, mortality and survival by deprivation category [29KB]
Summary statistics for multiple myelomas
|Rank - incidence||15||17|
|Rank - mortality||15||17|
|Percentage frequency of all cancers||1.5%||1.2%|
|Number of new cases diagnosed in 2011||221||185|
|Number of deaths recorded in 2011||140||98|
|Change in incidence from 2001 to 2011||+9.1%||+7.4%|
|Change in mortality from 2001 to 2011||-6.2%||-14.9%|
|1 year relative survival for patients diagnosed between 2003 and 2007||73.0%||70.6%|
|5 year relative survival for patients diagnosed between 2003 and 2007||40.9%||34.2%|
1. Survival figures are not age standardised.
2. Change in incidence and mortality is estimated by Poisson regression.