Methodologies and Reporting
To further enhance the recording and reporting of current and future Workforce Statistics, as well as ensuring the information within the ISD Workforce Statistics web pages continues to support local, regional and national workforce planning, several changes have been made.
- Changes to current Workforce Information that enhances reporting, can be found within the Changes to December 2010 Publication [63kb] document.
- Changes that will ensure the on-going enhancement of the recording and reporting of workforce information can be found within the Planned Changes to Methodologies and Future Publications [55kb] document.
- Changes to the methodology of Turnover statistics can be found within the Turnover Methodology [42kb] document. The reporting of these statistics will be subject to further revisions in 2011.
- To ensure the processes used by ISD to derive the published statistics are transparent to all users of the data, information on current processes has been made available below;
ISD Staff Categories [208kb]
ISD Process [407kb]
At present Workforce information published within the ISD workforce website presents staff in post information by Headcount and Whole Time Equivalent. In order to provide additional and more accurate information, ISD have revised current methodologies. These changes include the addition of an 'employments' count and revision to the headcount measure. The employment count is available for all Non medical staff, from September 2007 to present.
Definitions for each include
- Headcount - This refers to the actual number of individuals (employees) working within the NHSS. This eliminates any double counting that may exist as a result of an employee holding more than one post (see employment below).
- Whole Time Equivalent - This is derived by dividing the number of contacted hours by the number of conditioned hours (hours worked). This adjusts headcount staff figures to take account of part time staff.
- Employment - An employee may hold more than one appointment in NHSS. Their appointments may be in more than one NHS organisation, in more than one region, in more than one specialty, or in more than one grade. The 'Employment' variable will count the employee under each organisation / region / specialty / grade they work i.e. the same employee may be counted more than once